Last week, my fabulous friend Tracy at TeeWii posted a recipe she made for Slow Cooker Short Rib Tostadas. We love short ribs in our house so I jumped right on it to add this to our menu. Using a slow cooker when it’s 100 degrees out makes life even more enjoyable!
It was simple to make and took no time at all.
- about 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ pounds beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ jar salsa
- 1 package of tostadas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheddar cheese
- toppings you like: lettuce, tomato, jalapeños, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, coleslaw
- Set a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When hot, add in as many short ribs as will comfortably fit in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Brown both sides of the short ribs (about 2 minutes per side). Remove from the pan to a plate and repeat with the remaining olive oil and short ribs.
- In a large crockpot, add the chicken broth and vinegar.
- Add the short ribs to the pot, arranging in a single layer.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-5½ hours, until the meat is really tender and easily comes away from the bone.
- Shred the meat off the bone and add back to the crockpot. Pour the salsa over the ribs and cook on low for 30 more mins.
- To serve: Spoon refried beans onto your tostada and spread it around. Add coleslaw, tomatoes, ribs, guacamole and cheese. Enjoy!