We love nothing more than a good Oktoberfest dinner. What’s better than sausages, potato salad and beer?! Costco has awesome Silva Beer Brats and this German Potato Salad recipe couldn’t be any easier.
We like to boil our brats in beer before grilling them on the BBQ. The beer adds flavor and makes grilling time shorter. Serve the potato salad warm, so you can literally make it just before cooking the brats or even a bit earlier. Crack open a beer while you wait for the brats to cook! Prost!
- 3 lbs medium red potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 t salt
- 1/4 t celery seed
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1 c cider vinegar
- 3/4 c water
- 3 T minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large skilled, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 4 tablespoons drippings. In the dripping, sauce onion until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed, and pepper until blended. Gradually add the sugar, vinegar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Add potatoes and bacon to skillet; cook and stir gently over low heat until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.